Tuesday 8 March 2011

Primary Research Part 3

So, beginning to focus on shells in particular, and the typical pattern included within them is a repeated set of lines, much similar to a pleated pattern. I did a couple of pleat forms to test out where this kind of structure could go.

I chose this particular light setting because the lamp also had a pleated design. To create a pleat pattern in a rounded form like this lamp shade would be ideal. To recreate a natural shell shape, aswell as use the shell pattern.


However, I found that after folding the paper several times to create the pleat, it's overall structure became very stiff, and once manipulate to create rounder forms, it tended to lose such a perfect defined pleat. This only thing I seemed to do was create fan shapes, but I was expecting to make something more elegant. I need to look at shapes to now bend the pleats into and experiment with applying this pattern to more designs. Such as recreating some of the forms that I already have, but pleating the paper first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment